Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I can say it's likely infrastructure. For example where I'm at in rural Indiana it's 3 1/2 months to receive *any* sort of mental health related services even just a consultation regardless of insurance. If you need more specialized services the wait may be longer. I think the worst is currently dermatologists which stands at over 6 months, apparently hoosiers have bad skin :(
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Well psychology is not a hard science so it makes since to me that they are paid less than other medical branches.

Psychology may not be a hard science, but in order to be a psychiatrist you have to be a Medical Doctor with all of the same specialization requirements as a surgeon or a radiologist. That same radio segment I mentioned earlier also said you basically have to specialize twice to be a psychiatrist (they didnt elaborate so I dont know what was meant by that).

This might be true, but I'm not sure I would like to meet a psychologist who only pursued that career because of its high salaries. Some jobs are just meant to be a calling and I'm sure they make enough money to live on.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    Skatan wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Well psychology is not a hard science so it makes since to me that they are paid less than other medical branches.

Psychology may not be a hard science, but in order to be a psychiatrist you have to be a Medical Doctor with all of the same specialization requirements as a surgeon or a radiologist. That same radio segment I mentioned earlier also said you basically have to specialize twice to be a psychiatrist (they didnt elaborate so I dont know what was meant by that).

This might be true, but I'm not sure I would like to meet a psychologist who only pursued that career because of its high salaries. Some jobs are just meant to be a calling and I'm sure they make enough money to live on.

Although it may sound great to have a 'calling', my experience has been that many people 'called' into psychology are doing it to fix themselves. Helping others is not necessarily their most important motivation. I have an uncle who has a degree in psychology, worked in the mental-health field in California and is one of the weirdest people I know. My sister also got a degree in psychology. She's battled depression and anxiety her whole life. She's now working as a nurse in a psych-ward in Florida. Granted that's a small cross-section but here's an article I found about the hazards of pursuing a career in psychology...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/campus-confidential-coping-college/201604/depressed-psychologists?amp

46% of them battling depression is a huge number. I'd argue that a larger than average percentage of people with depression are pursuing those careers to begin with and the stresses are magnifying it. Just a hypothesis based on my limited observations of course...
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Well, where to start. I'm fitghing off what might be early signs of respiratory infection, our insurance has decided not to pay for my wife's essential medication (which she has been without for a week) and is already experienceing drastic and sudden mood swings, and my hand might be broken. What a wonderful day.

Yikes, sorry to hear this. I hope you didn't break your hand punching a wall out of frustration...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The doctor says that my hand "probably" isn't broken. I guess I can be cautiously optimistic about that.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Minor unhappiness: I have a rash that's going to prevent me from wearing pants tomorrow. Also, there's a single mosquito in my room and I don't know where it is.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    our insurance has decided not to pay for my wife's essential medication (which she has been without for a week)

Yikes, that's callous. What was their argument?

semiticgod wrote: »
    Minor unhappiness: I have a rash that's going to prevent me from wearing pants tomorrow.

That should be in the happiness thread. I get to not wear pants tomorrow, whoo hoo!
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    That's interesting. Despite almost everything being privatized here, we do have special disability insurance, and were able to get counselling and therapy for my wife in less than a month. COnsidering our health system here in the US, I doubt these agencies get any more money in our country than in yous. Maybe its an infrastructure problem?

Not an infrastructure problem. I've looked in our area, in the next bigger city, and in a city an hour away that has roughly 1 million inhabitants. Same long lists.
    There's just not enough of them.

@ThacoBell, I hope your wife will get your necessary medication soon and will be okay. It must be so frustrating.
    I had a prescription and didn't get my medication yesterday, because it was unavailable, not only in that pharmacy, but couldn't be ordered from the producer in the whole country, for whichever reason. The two hours until I got an emergency alternative prescription were already dreadful, with me worrying what to do if I'd remain weeks without medication.

I can't imagine how bad it must be if you suddenly can't get your medicine anymore. Especially since your wife has had such severe symptoms. Even if they thought only about the money, surely another time in the hospital costs the insurance more than the medicine.
    Did they give a reason? Are they even allowed to do that?
    our insurance has decided not to pay for my wife's essential medication (which she has been without for a week)

They "changed the policy." Apparently they will pay for a three month supply only now, but they didn't GIVE us a three month supply to begin with. So we have two months of no medication unless our doctors can figure something out.
    @ThacoBell , thanks for making me smile on a miserable day :)
    @Arvia Glad to be able to help in at least a small way.
    edited August 2019
    I have recently been oversharing some very personal problems in this forum, publicly and privately, and I'm very embarrassed because of it.
    I wish I could erase all traces of it, but that's not possible.

I would kindly ask people who have quoted the posts that I have deleted this week, if they could please edit the quotes out of their posts.

I'd also appreciate no replies or questions to this post. What has been said cannot be unsaid, but I'd like to hide for a bit, pretend it never happened, and then just go back to talking about Baldur's Gate and everything else that this forum was meant to discuss.
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited August 2019
    @Arvia If you want the moderators to move anything (including replies to your initial comments) to the holding area, just let us know (either through a PM or just a forum tag).
    edited August 2019
    @Arvia No shame here. You've been having some rough times. I'll go back a ways and see if I've quoted you anywhere, but you should NOT feel shame or embarassment at talking with people about your problems.

That was a very unfortunate typo.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

They "changed the policy." Apparently they will pay for a three month supply only now, but they didn't GIVE us a three month supply to begin with. So we have two months of no medication unless our doctors can figure something out.

That really needs to be illegal. I know some people think mental health meds are bad, or not as necessary for life as 'real' medicines, but seriously, who among us hasn't at some point had to deal with someone who would have benefited from meds but wouldn't/couldn't take them? Its awful, and our society needs to realize how profound mental health problems are for sufferers.

I honestly think govs should just bite the bullet and fully cover psychiatric medicines. Leaving even the tiniest of barriers can result in a person not bothering in some cases, and or suffering greatly from the lack of meds.

There are many mental illnesses more crippling than even the worst physical ailments imho, I hope you can find a solution.
    @DreadKhan Thanks you for your affiramtion. @Arvia had a good idea to resolve this, but it ended up fixing itself. Our pharmacy reviewed our case and ruled that the insurance company had made a mistake, and gave us our medication anyway. I suspect that they did this at a loss, as they never convinced the company to pay for them.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @ThacoBell Well, I suppose that's a bit understandable, as they likely want you coming to their pharmacy preferentially, but I think this is a happy enough ending.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If anything, mental health meds are more important than other kinds. I know one otherwise perfectly healthy person who ended up with life in prison for murdering two police officers because he couldn't afford his meds when he lost his job.

We already know medicine is the difference between a diabetic and a corpse. It's also true that medicine is the difference between a family man and a criminal. Mental health meds aren't something you can just go without.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited August 2019
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    I was friends with someone who left the forum. Eventually, they said we couldn't stay friends any longer because I reminded them of the forum.

@typo_tilly Deja-vu! I recently got a very similar message from someone like that. I can't help but wonder if it was the same person...
    DreadKhan wrote: »
    @ThacoBell Well, I suppose that's a bit understandable, as they likely want you coming to their pharmacy preferentially, but I think this is a happy enough ending.

Well, this pharmacy DID looks after my wife, while our previous one almost killed me. So yeah, they have our business.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Sigh, just realized I'm going to be taking an L in one of my identity design class. The first project, from the advanced class. I thought I had more time and Sunday what was supposed to be uploaded was something completely different...

In other news...

I find myself just falling into random bouts of melancholy recently.i don't even know what words to use anymore, between feeling lost, useless, passionless, and remembering the days where I believed all I needed to do is keep moving forward. It may take time but keep going forward and I'll eventually get there...

It's all over...that is all I can see and hear now, and how easily I could make it all guy away, it would take much to turn the lights out.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    If trying to stay in the right path, he straight and narrow, is what got me where I am today...

Maybe I would have been better off making the wrong turn long ago.

All I hear is it takes time, it's going to happen when it happens, just keep crawling forward, but I'm.not seeing any end to it. All I can see is more struggling, more pain, and eventually nothing.