Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    " You can judge me for it, but you don't know me, haven't lived my life, and I hope in all sincerity that you are in never in a position to demonstrate how you'd do better in similar circumstances."

Too late. My grandmother was this person for me. She passed away when I was 17, now at 30, it still feels like it happened just last year. I know what you feel like, because what you described has happened to me. There's nothing wrong with grieving, even for long periods of time (I had your attitude for about 3 years). But at some point you will need live your life again.

This trend of romanticizing grief is so toxic, and I've seen it so much in the last 10 years. "But I still won't get past it. I know this, because I do not want to get past it. Getting past it, ever being normal again, ever being happy again... that would cheapen the relationship I had with him. " This, this right here is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Its the kind of toxic pity and self harm that gets held up as some kind of romantic long suffering that shouldn't be tolerated. You will ruin your life with this, and there is 0 reason that you should.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Too late. My grandmother was this person for me. She passed away when I was 17, now at 30, it still feels like it happened just last year. I know what you feel like, because what you described has happened to me. There's nothing wrong with grieving, even for long periods of time (I had your attitude for about 3 years). But at some point you will need live your life again.

So, it may be that you weren't as bad off as me, or it could be that being much younger than me you had more of a future to resiliently bounce back to, or you could simply be emotionally more resilient than I am. All are valid possibilities.

I do question your use of "need", though. I don't, in fact, need to live my life again. There is not much in the way of consequence to threaten me with, you know?
    This trend of romanticizing grief is so toxic, and I've seen it so much in the last 10 years. "But I still won't get past it. I know this, because I do not want to get past it. Getting past it, ever being normal again, ever being happy again... that would cheapen the relationship I had with him. " This, this right here is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Its the kind of toxic pity and self harm that gets held up as some kind of romantic long suffering that shouldn't be tolerated. You will ruin your life with this, and there is 0 reason that you should.

See, you see "romanticizing", I see it as "an attempt to honestly describe what I'm feeling". I don't particularly see this as romantic - I'm not a broken person waiting to die because I loved him so much (although I did), I'm like that because that's what his death left me as.
    Arvia wrote: »
    I have to agree with @ThacoBell, to an extent, but you came to vent your sorrow, not to be judged because of it.

It's only been a few months. It's not true that time heals all wounds (and it shouldn't), but the pain should become more bearable after some time.

It's perfectly all right, I actually had assumed that if I got replies, there'd be somebody like @ThacoBell among them. I'm not offended by it. These are the sort of things that are said to grieving and suicidal people, because none of us want to think that "give up and wait for death" is an acceptable option.

If it wasn't in a way helpful to talk about it, it'd be silly of me to post about it.
    If you have a wife and a child, imagine how they would feel if they knew you consider your life unworthy of living without your friend in it.

My wife is entirely aware. I don't dwell on it with her every day, because that would just make her depressed to no good result, but our relationship is such that we can be honest about this sort of thing. I in fact told her about the original post, though I advised her not to read it.

My child doesn't, but I'd worry about her emotional ability to deal with it - she has her own mental issues.
    Also, if you think that even your identity doesn't exist without him, that's something I find hard to believe. But who you are without him is something you'll have to find out for yourself, given some time.

Can I just say I could probably clarify why that's so, but it would require another long post and I don't really want to put my life's story in the thread (mostly because it seems excessive)? There are reasons.

But I will say that for decades, we were a pair of people most places we went and were probably better known as a pair than as individuals. And writing, the one thing I truly wanted to do in this life, is something we had done together for all that time. There's more to it than that, of course.
    You probably don't want to hear all that. I also don't want to belittle your feelings.
    I wish you strength and resilience. But after screaming into the abyss for a while, it's time to get up and spit fate in the face again.

It's all right, I can appreciate the feeling behind the response. I've said similar things to people many times in my life - it's what you do, right?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Thank you, @Son_of_Imoen. You're a kind person.
    I'm not trying to fish for sympathy or anything, it's just tough sometimes to have nobody to really talk to about the important things.
    And until now, whenever I've decided to trust a person and opened up, I've been hurt (not necessarily the other person's fault. I'm extremely sensitive to criticism) and have withdrawn into my shell, swearing to never open up to people again.

Also, the fact that my ADHD makes me talk too fast and interrupt people isn't helpful. It makes me so self-conscious that I'd sometimes rather not talk at all. To notice a bad behavior, even have people point it out to me, but not being able to stop it, makes me feel very bad.
    Talking fast isn't "bad". Its flavor. The spice of your conversations.

Try convincing yourself of that when someone starts covering his ears while you're talking :/
  • HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
    Oh for the good old days when I wasn't constantly aware of every bad political move being made on either side of the Atlantic Ocean/Irish Sea, when my country's equivalent of the Prime Minister being found out for severe corruption was the worst political outcome I could conceive of. When I wasn't so broken and emotionally battered by repeated artistic false starts, perfectionism and the inertia of being unable to do the things I want to that I keep falling into bouts of anxiety and/or all-consuming misery that take forever to dislodge.

That may have been somewhere in the ballpark of 15 years ago. Feels like a lifetime.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited January 2020
    Some times I fear I've become the exact thing I hated. A entitled person who just want things given to him. I keep telling myself I work hard, my work may not have been the same as my father who spent 25 years in the military, runs his own business while still working heavy equipment for a factory or the same as my mother who got 11 degrees from college and has worked everywhere from the medical field to security and even after having cardiac arrest still refuses not to work 2 jobs.

But I still work right? I study graphic design, character design, figure drawing, 3D modeling, level design, some animation, sequential art, multiple different mediums from both wet and dry to digital. I spend more time doing it than I have even sleeping or eating and even been in both galleries and art shows... Have I become financially stable, maybe not but but I am still walking forward, right?

So why do I feel like I've been shoehorned into one of the things I feared becoming when I was much much younger.

Try convincing yourself of that when someone starts covering his ears while you're talking :/

You just need to find people with better taste then. I can understand, I tend to talk really fast and stumble over other people's words all the time.

@DragonKing You work hard and you deserve to be rewarded for your work. The problem is that this country doesn't really reward hard work anymore. Wanting a baseline quality of life for the effort one puts in is not entitlement.
    @Arvia I really hope it helps. I haven't had to deal with this stuff yet, so I can only share my experiences with skeptical family and "friends".
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    In 34 days I'll be 30, and I'm still feeling as lost, confused, and alone as the first day I was suppose to leave home and become a member of "society".

Was this really what life is? Just nothing but perpetual confusion and solitude? If so can I give it back? Atleast nonexistence makes it easier to not care.

Also 7 more days until V-day, I guess I should start on a V day piece.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    And sometimes all those people around us who look like they're living perfect lives are just better at keeping up a brightly painted front.

Someone once told me that around us we see other people like beautiful swans gliding effortlessly over the water, but we don't see how frantically they, too, are paddling to stay on the surface instead of drowning.

You can see it if you dip below the surface of the water. It's really murky down there though so I don't recommend it if you value your sanity...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I was once taught a Buddhist quote that really helped me to understand life and why it was kicking my behind.

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

That's kind of a "koan" that can mean a lot of different things.

To me, it means that the meaning of life is to find food, water, and shelter, and then to either have and raise children to adulthood, or at least to teach what skills you know and have to children. "Enlightenment" to the meaning of life is a side bonus to doing what you're going to have to do anyway while you're alive. Living is working to survive. "Man must toil and labor, and sustenance comes by the sweat of his brow."

I once made up my own little koan that I find very helpful during dark times, that still makes me smile because I created it with an ironic, humorous, and fatalistic flair, and please pardon the profanity if it doesn't get filtered out, but it's part of the humor.

Here is the meaning of life:

"Life eats. Life shits. Life cleans up all the shit."

That's everything you need to know about the meaning of life.
    I was once taught a Buddhist quote that really helped me to understand life and why it was kicking my behind.

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

To me, it means that the meaning of life is to find food, water, and shelter, and then to either have and raise children to adulthood, or at least to teach what skills you know and have to children. "Enlightenment" to the meaning of life is a side bonus to doing what you're going to have to do anyway while you're alive. Living is working to survive. "Man must toil and labor, and sustenance comes by the sweat of his brow."

I once made up my own little koan that I find very helpful during dark times, that still makes me smile because I created it with an ironic, humorous, and fatalistic flair, and please pardon the profanity if it doesn't get filtered out, but it's part of the humor.

Unfortunately we now have machines to clean the shit for us, leaving us way too much time contemplating what to do with the time we're no longer utilizing to clean shit...
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Unfortunately we now have machines to clean the shit for us, leaving us way too much time contemplating what to do with the time we're no longer utilizing to clean shit...

Do you honestly believe that we have too much time and that's the issue? Okay, we no longer work in the fields from sunrise to sunset, but do you really think modern life leaves us too much time to contemplate?

I think it's more because average people in the past just weren't educated enough to question anything, still thinking that God had given them their place in life, and the aristocracy was meant to rule over them, and hardship was a trial or punishment for their sins and all that...

I doubt that people who are, let's say, collecting toxic garbage all day long or working in a Cambodian clothes factory are happier than us just because they work very hard and barely have time to eat and sleep, let alone think about the meaning of life.

But maybe that's more for the religion and philosophy thread.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I got a speeding ticket earlier today and I feel really bad about it. The fine isn't the problem; it won't break the bank and I know the money will go back into the city. I don't want a mark on my record, especially because I want to be able to volunteer and I'm kinda paranoid that the background check issue won't let me volunteer at non-profits.

I just feel impure. Road safety is kind of a big deal to me and I don't like being someone who went so far over the speed limit (it wasn't intentional). My court date isn't for three weeks but hopefully I'll be able to deal with it early. I don't want this hovering over my head anymore.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I got a speeding ticket earlier today and I feel really bad about it. The fine isn't the problem; it won't break the bank and I know the money will go back into the city. I don't want a mark on my record, especially because I want to be able to volunteer and I'm kinda paranoid that the background check issue won't let me volunteer at non-profits.

I just feel impure. Road safety is kind of a big deal to me and I don't like being someone who went so far over the speed limit (it wasn't intentional). My court date isn't for three weeks but hopefully I'll be able to deal with it early. I don't want this hovering over my head anymore.

It's not a big deal here in Michigan unless it's so far over the limit that it qualifies as reckless driving. I doubt it's as bad as you think...
    @semiticgod Speeding tickets wouldn't lock you out of volunteering in Kansas either. Which is probably good, considering the drivers we have out here. Is Texas a lot more strict than the average when it comes to speeding tickets?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A couple friends of mine said that I can keep it off my record by taking a driving course since it wasn't 25 or more over the speed limit. I can expunge one speeding ticket per year. I still feel bad, but at least it won't have to stay on my record necessarily. I plan on going to the courthouse today to ask if I can see the judge early and get it taken care of soon.

Probably have to dress like a guy, though, for appearance's sake. Not very happy about that.