Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Cuv said:

Yes, it's fascinating. There should have been a 'gazebo' in one of those pics!

Zork 2 in The Baldur's Gate engine??? fantastic!
    kcwiselolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited October 2014
    Cerevant said:

mlnevese said:

@Cuv‌ Is there a Gazebo in Adventure Y? How much XP is it worthy? ;-)

Not much. Fighting a gazebo really isn't much of a combat challenge.
    @AndrewFoley! You are under NDA!
    I guess we're losing a writer.
    NimrankcwiseJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Ouch!
    NimrankcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Well we now know that there is going to be an area with a gazebo in it. That's gotta be worth something.
    kcwiseNimranJuliusBorisov
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Nimran said:

meagloth said:

Cerevant said:

mlnevese said:

@Cuv‌ Is there a Gazebo in Adventure Y? How much XP is it worthy? ;-)

Not much. Fighting a gazebo really isn't much of a combat challenge.
    @AndrewFoley! You are under NDA!
    I guess we're losing a writer.
    They're 'promoting him to customer'. At least, that's what my boss says when he fires somebody.
    "Today I'm handing out Mars bars and redundancies... and I'm all out of Mars bars"
    kcwiseNimranlolienCrevsDaak
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    kcwise said:

Gazebo was a typo. It's actually a Gaze Bow. Kinda like the Gesen Bow, only it fires beholder eye rays rather than lightning bolts.

Thats a genius idea there... using 'ammo' like the BMR. Low APR maybe? Damn, could be cool.
    kcwiseNimranArcalian
  • RookrockRookrock Member Posts: 18
    Maybe the IWDEE connection is this: Goblin in the party is distantly related to that smart Goblin found early in IWDEE...I remember wanting him to be in my party.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Hey, maybe the goblin is Grovel! "Break time now, yes? Yes? Maybe? No. Back to work"
    lolienMetallomanJuliusBorisov
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    All right, let's try something purely technical/mechanical, completely non-spoilery:

If I were to install Adventure Y on my PC, would it count as a separate program, or as something I'd run from within the EEs themselves (like the Black Pits in both games)?
    Pibaroelminster
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Adventure Y has some interesting ties to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, so I recommend picking that up if you're excited for this.

More of Xan's And Erevain's relations?
    JuliusBorisovmeagloth
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    shawne said:

All right, let's try something purely technical/mechanical, completely non-spoilery:

If I were to install Adventure Y on my PC, would it count as a separate program, or as something I'd run from within the EEs themselves (like the Black Pits in both games)?

Basing my view on Phillip's words that

Adventure Y is an Infinity Engine adventure.

and the fact there's a new UI on the screenshot, I think yes, it would count as a separate program. The fact he used the "Infinity Engine adventure" phrase and not something like "a content for BG/an adventure for BG and so on" adds to this. Moreover, I think that marketing and selling a completely separate game/application is a better option for Beamdog.
    elminsterlolienkaguanaStarflower2525
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited October 2014
    Adventure Y as a seprate program is something i can live with. We have to make our mods compatible, and it takes more HDD space but we have enoug of that now. I hope that it does not alter the canon timeline (as in: Tranzig Tarnesh kills charname on the stairs of FAI and Sarevok ignites a war between BG and Amn)

My mind can't handle that..... I would have to burn my copy of the Grand history of the Realms and Murder in BG...
    Post edited by artificial_sunlight on
    AdulCrevsDaak
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2014
    Rookrock said:

Maybe the IWDEE connection is this: Goblin in the party is distantly related to that smart Goblin found early in IWDEE...I remember wanting him to be in my party.

It would have to be a descendant. Icewind Dale occurs about 100+ years before Baldur's Gate.

EDIT: And, y'know...it would help for me to re-read the damned post before I respond.
    PibaroCrevsDaakArcalian
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    my guess is that the goblin is a regular humanoid npc polymorphed into a goblin by a magic item or spell or plot device.

The special ability on the quick bar is the ability to polymorph or change into a different form (it looks like a kobold) or to revert to it's original form.

I add the evidence of the fact that the character clearly has wands equipped into quick slots, so whatever way you look at it, a regular goblin wouldn't be able to use them.

Granted they might have invented a special "deekin style" monster npc but if so I find that a little disappointing and derivative of other works
    lolienDexterCrevsDaak
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ajwz said:

my guess is that the goblin is a regular humanoid npc polymorphed into a goblin by a magic item or spell or plot device.

The special ability on the quick bar is the ability to polymorph or change into a different form (it looks like a kobold) or to revert to it's original form.

I add the evidence of the fact that the character clearly has wands equipped into quick slots, so whatever way you look at it, a regular goblin wouldn't be able to use them.

Granted they might have invented a special "deekin style" monster npc but if so I find that a little disappointing and derivative of other works

...and just what makes a goblin or kobold a monster?? They are both classified in DnD as humanoids in 3.x, and similar in older editions. Considerkng mongrelfolk, likely they can breed with humans too. Quite frankly, another elf archer, dwarf fighter etc is more derivative, since EVERYONE uses these tropes. Heck, Viconia is a bit much, being a monster, ie Drow. Drow are obscenely overused in FR stuff. But wait!! There was a kobold in a game, therefore any non-standard non-Drow race can ever be used in anything, ever. *rolls eyes*

As for abilities, could be a doppelganger if your shifting theory is correct, and perhaps will clear up those Doppelgangers that ambush you in BG2. I could see this character being some kind of shaman or witchdoctor maybe, which could give unusual abilities.
    lolien[Deleted User]ScooterCrevsDaak