Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2015
    Voice talent they've got, at least I hope that's what that means. I do have some small concerns about writing, since there are a few errors in BG2:EE. Aerie's out of character interaction with Hexxat in ToB, which obviously sprung from an earlier banter that should have resulted in lots of characters like Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, Nalia, all reenacting the assassination scene from Julius Caesar, but with stakes. It should have just been cut out and Hexxat's feeding habits left to the player's imagination. Imoen acting she has an intelligence of minus several billion when talking to Hexxat. Maybe it was all just a bit rushed, since on the whole the other writing is very good.

So basically, no more vampires. Done to death anyway.

Don't tempt them. They'll just make a sparkling vampire for you. XD

Sometimes sparkly vampires... I actually sat through those films, and there's no consistency about that (Rifftrax helped me through them).

Or a vampire duck (it will tell me how old people are if they get that reference).
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Coutelier said:

Exactly.

The other thing was there's a big difference between what Gorion says about your mother through his letters in BG1 and what you learn in ToB.

I don't appreciate Gorion talking smack about my mother.
    I much prefer Gorion's version to the one you get told about in ToB.
    wubble said:

Coutelier said:

Exactly.

The other thing was there's a big difference between what Gorion says about your mother through his letters in BG1 and what you learn in ToB.

I don't appreciate Gorion talking smack about my mother.
    I much prefer Gorion's version to the one you get told about in ToB.
    The trouble is, neither Gorion or the Solar have a reason to lie about it. So I don't know... maybe it was just a different writer and didn't check back. Or for some reason they decided to retcon it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

*Makes plans to ask for a sparkling vampire NPC*

:p
    elminster said:

*Makes plans to ask for a sparkling vampire NPC*

:p
    Sparkling vampire duck. That would be cool. (That might be where it went wrong with Hexxat. Any time a sentence begins with the words 'Wouldn't be cool if', or even contains the words 'cool' or 'awesome' it's likely not a good idea.)
    In case anyone got the wrong idea, I'm not... well I was criticizing a bit. Believe me, I know how tough it is to seperate actual constructive criticism from all the chaff. Generally speaking, the more emotional the feedback is, the less useful it is. That's at either end of the spectrum. People saying 'I hate you, why did you do that?', or just blind adoration and praise... neither is really of much use. In Hexxat's case, ultimately I think the decision to make her a vampire just caused too much difficulty. Otherwise, it was mostly fine.

That's all I got to say about that. I'm not going to bring up Clara (to be honest, I don't really care about Clara).
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    I just fear that, given their budget, they won't be able to get the voice actors back to voice the original characters if they do include them (i.e. Jim Cummings for Minsc, Melissa Disney for Imoen etc...). I know Jennifer Hale was 'confirmed' and the master that is David Warner was sort of hinted at, but these names come at a big price (as evidenced by Trent tweeting about how expensive VO is).

It'd be a real shame if the characters appeared in Adventure Y but weren't voiced, not even partially.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    Hopefully if they do include already existing characters (such as Minsc, etc...) they will consititute as 'major characters' for the purposes of VO :D
    bengoshi said:

It's much more relative to this thread to find out whether Beamdog NPCs from the first game will take part in the Adventure Y or not. I hope they will.

If it's set between the games, then we already know that Neera is off joining her fellow wild mages in Amn. Likewise, Viconia is hanging around Beregost and Edy's wrming his way into the thieves guild.
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    Coutelier said:

Or a vampire duck (it will tell me how old people are if they get that reference).

How about a vegetarian one? And areally only one other person getting the reference that speaks volume about modern culture. Unless it's age and location based are we all about 30 and from the UK?
    mlnevese said:

Coutelier said:

Sometimes sparkly vampires... I actually sat through those films, and there's no consistency about that (Rifftrax helped me through them).

Is this a Count Duckula reference? :)
    Vampire Hall of Fang for you!

Coutelier said:

How about a vegetarian one? And areally only one other person getting the reference that speaks volume about modern culture. Unless it's age and location based are we all about 30 and from the UK?
    It was shown on networks in other countries (Nickelodeon in the US), and I know some Americans know it. But never mind... Danger Mouse is coming back! Yay!

On adventure-y, the NPC's who return in BG2 we mostly know what they were doing between times. But we could see one or two others whose activities after the end of the first game we don't yet know about.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Coutelier said:

no more vampires. Done to death

Heh.
    Fablewynd said:

It'd be a real shame if the characters appeared in Adventure Y but weren't voiced, not even partially.

Partially would be good enough though imo. It's not like everyone had full VO the first time around. But more is better, of course.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

VO is very expensive. Especially now that we're doing it in LA instead of locally.

Surely not for Mark Meer when he can just pop into the office?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited January 2015
    apart from previously mentioned balance issues running your charname from bg1 through adventure y in to bg2, the other issue i have is this: if it's a new plot with new characters sort or "following" charname of even just doing things at the same time (things that either tie into the bg1 plot or connect bg1 and bg2), wouldn't it inevitably feel very railroaded?
    That's another why I'd prefer an expansion between SoA and ToB. Much more room to play with, and then Ascension if you need to up the challenge in ToB.

But it's possible it will be expansion spanning both games, merely starting with the end of BG1 and you being captured.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    elminster said:

Though interesting enough Jennifer Hale does live in LA

Whoah..
    Canada has a video games awards?
    ;)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

elminster said:

Though interesting enough Jennifer Hale does live in LA

Whoah..
    Canada has a video games awards?
    ;)
    Canada dishes out a lot of high quality, fan favorite games. It is a 2.3 billion dollar industry for us. So yes it gets its own awards. Just like the Junos.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    deltago said:

Just like the Junos.

But cooler B)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Coutelier said:

Well I'm 46, so I'm more familiar with the Count from his original appearance on Danger Mouse than from his spin off series.