Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Vallmyr said:

Unpopular Opinion: Anomen is adorable as hell. I blame my new-found thoughts on this on @deltago 's version of him over on the RP thread. I want to take him in my next BG2:EE run after SoD.

:confused: He's adorable? I guess I have to try harder to be a dick
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovlolienMalicron
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    deltago said:

Vallmyr said:

Unpopular Opinion: Anomen is adorable as hell. I blame my new-found thoughts on this on @deltago 's version of him over on the RP thread. I want to take him in my next BG2:EE run after SoD.

:confused: He's adorable? I guess I have to try harder to be a dick
    Yes, adorable! In that... The-guy-everyone-loves-to-hate kinda way. It's complicated.
    deltagoJuliusBorisovlolienQuartz
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2015
    Nimran said:

Grum said:

Nimran said:

I find the descriptions of special weapons/armor more interesting than reading books

This is why book stores are going out of business.
    Then they should start selling spellbooks, those never go out of style.
    Well...discount stores that sell spells like color spray might not do too well...
    "Taste the rainbow, fools!" With a one-liner like that, how could you not want to buy it?
    Because "I cast magic missile at the darkness" will usually be more effective...

That said I really wish the army had a wizard MOS. Go to AIT and get taught how to cast level one spells. Given how most of the US's enemies will be low level conscripts, I'd imagine that sleep would be the most commonly learned spell in our arsenal.
    FinaLfrontJuliusBorisovmashedtaters
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Maybe unpopular opinion, unsure: Race/Class restrictions are lame. I always mod them out when I can. Still sad I can't have my gnome bard on my IWD:EE on my iPhone :(
    SmilingSwordJuliusBorisovJarrakul
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

BG needs fully voices characters. Some of us have eye sight problems and don't like getting headaches trying to read the he wall of text.

This is my main problem with Pillars of Eternity, I can understand BG not having fully vioced NPCs because it is so very old, but PoE is brand new and does the we're only going to voice a fifth of the dialogue because of nostalgia or some other bollocks.
    It was such a stupid design decision.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    FrdNwsm said:

I started a second run of BG2:EE. I'm in Ch 2 and bored as Hell. The suspense is all gone, I know everything that's going to happen, and even playing a totally different character class doesn't pique my interest.

I think ahead to the endless Chapters lying in wait, think to myself "I CAN'T go through all that again", and start playing Torchlight II with the "all females nude" mod. BG2 isn't worth a second run-through ...
    although if they came through with a mod like that, maybe it would be.

@FrdNwsm This is what different mods are for. Install the SCS mod to make your game much more difficult, install BG1 NPCs mod to add interactions to BGEE, install Ascencion to make ToB a lot more interesting.
    Ravenslightlolien
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Tuth said:

I never liked dual-wielding, it doesn't make sense other than having a dagger on the off-hand.

With you 100% here... I'm no expert on medieval arms and armour (I know we have a few on here), I can just about get behind a pair of short swords or scimitars, but when people talk about off-handing the Defender of Easthaven or Crom Faeyr, it makes me cringe!

I've long been looking for a mod where the best power-gaming off-hand (at least an equivalent to Belm/Kundane) is a dagger...
    TuthmashedtatersMalicron
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    abacus said:

Tuth said:

I never liked dual-wielding, it doesn't make sense other than having a dagger on the off-hand.

With you 100% here... I'm no expert on medieval arms and armour (I know we have a few on here), I can just about get behind a pair of short swords or scimitars, but when people talk about off-handing the Defender of Easthaven or Crom Faeyr, it makes me cringe!

I've long been looking for a mod where the best power-gaming off-hand (at least an equivalent to Belm/Kundane) is a dagger...
    Agree.

I'm no expert either, but based on what I've read and seen (Lindybeige, Schola Gladiatora, Skallagrim etc on Youtube), it seems failry obvious that there is no evidence whatsoever that wielding more weapons = more attacks. It would prolly make more sense to add AC for dual weilding rather than APR in 2E, since a second weapon could in theory be used for parrying. Instead single weapon style should add APR, but then again, if you have one weapon and two hands I am fairly certain most times you would weild it with both hands in some way or another ('cept daggers etc ofc). I guess the basic idea of an offhand weapon adding APR is due to some kind of attack of opportunity where you can get a hit in from an odd angle due to having two weapons. Really, it's the speed weapons which mess this up. I would therefore preferred that speed weapons were removed completely and APR added to fighting styles (2H/1H).
    Tuthkensai
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited September 2015
    >>..and the award for the most unpopular opinion in this thread goes to..... @FrdNwsm! :smiley: <<

Wahoo! What's my prize?

lolienQuartz
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @lolien can make a special badge for you, @FrdNwsm
    lolien
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited September 2015
    Skatan said:

it seems failry obvious that there is no evidence whatsoever that wielding more weapons = more attacks. It would prolly make more sense to add AC for dual weilding rather than APR in 2E, since a second weapon could in theory be used for parrying.

When you have one weapon you also use it for blocking, (having no weapon gives you an AC penalty against armed opponent if I'm not mistaken). So having two weapons allows you to block and strike simultaneously, therefore increasing your average number of attacks. A shield is more cumbersome and does not allow you to block and strike so well simultaneoulsy in the same direction. Overall it makes sense to me that dual would get the best APR.

semiticgoddess
    Francois said:

When you have one weapon you also use it for blocking, (having no weapon gives you an AC penalty against armed opponent if I'm not mistaken). So having two weapons allows you to block and strike simultaneously, therefore increasing your average number of attacks. A shield is more cumbersome and does not allow you to block and strike so well simultaneoulsy in the same direction. Overall it makes sense to me that dual would get the best APR.

Well, as I also previously stated, there is no evidence whatsoever that this would be case when dual weilding. No reenactors, HEMA practitoners or those studying old combat manifests have ever (AFAIK) been able to support that notion. Rather, from what I've read and seen, it's quite the opposite. Weilding a 'longsword' in two hands is probably the best in terms of "speed", both when it comes to parrying and attacking. Or maybe even a spear.

Ofc 2E isn't "real" in that sense that it can completely mimic real life combat, but it shouldn't (once again, IMHO) add completely unrealistic behaviour either.

It's actually qutie interresting, so if you're into these kind of things I would suggest that you look up a few vidoes on youtube with the beforementioned lindybeige, schola gladiatori, skallagrim and other HEMA contests/shows. IIRC Lindybeige even has a video concerning exactly this: dual weilding in games and the ridiculous notion that it makes you attack faster/more often.

Sorry for derailing this thread. Maybe an admin can break this out from the thread and create a new one concering dual weild? Or maybe there already is an old one which this can be cut into. I wouldn't mind discussing this further with others since I think it's a very interresting subject.
    lolienTuthEadwyn_G8keeper
    FrdNwsm said:

>>..and the award for the most unpopular opinion in this thread goes to..... @FrdNwsm! :smiley:

If I weren't at work right now, I would create a pic of Minsc wearing a very skimpy bikini armor for you since that seem to be your preference ;-)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Skatan said:

FrdNwsm said:

>>..and the award for the most unpopular opinion in this thread goes to..... @FrdNwsm! :smiley:

If I weren't at work right now, I would create a pic of Minsc wearing a very skimpy bikini armor for you since that seem to be your preference ;-)
    With Boo in a leather G-string.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Skatan said:

Well, as I also previously stated, there is no evidence whatsoever that this would be case when dual weilding. No reenactors, HEMA practitoners or those studying old combat manifests have ever (AFAIK) been able to support that notion.

I have no competence in the field, so I'll check the videos when I have some time.

On a similar topic however I did some archery and I can say that 2 or 3 arrows in a round is totally unrealistic. Even when they were used in combat, six per minute was a fast rate. Even 1 arrow/round is pushing the limits of realism. They should reduce the rate of fire but make them more deadly.

GrumSkatanJuliusBorisov
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Francois said:

Skatan said:

Well, as I also previously stated, there is no evidence whatsoever that this would be case when dual weilding. No reenactors, HEMA practitoners or those studying old combat manifests have ever (AFAIK) been able to support that notion.

I have no competence in the field, so I'll check the videos when I have some time.

On a similar topic however I did some archery and I can say that 2 or 3 arrows in a round is totally unrealistic. Even when they were used in combat, six per minute was a fast rate. Even 1 arrow/round is pushing the limits of realism. They should reduce the rate of fire but make them more deadly.

In PnP a round is one minute, so two arrows per round is actually a little slow.

But when they designed the Infinity Engine they changed the round, and this is just one of those things that didn't scale very well!
    (I like the heavy crossbow that can fire a bolt every six seconds!)
    KilivitzSkatanJuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I thought in PnP a round was 6 seconds. At least, it's that way in 3.5. Probs different in 2e. I don't know much about 2e @_@.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    6 seconds makes more sense if you're using melee weapons and spells. 60 seconds makes more sense if you're using missile weapons or flails.
    JuliusBorisov