Skip to content

The most annoying npc

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Elrandir said:

@Coutelier‌ I would imagine it's because she's spent so much time in the realm of humans. She was abducted as a child, after all.

She hasn't been around elves for a long time, so yeah, obviously not much call for her to speak elven in the circus. But she probably learnt common while in captivity, which would have added a great deal to the fear and confusion she felt when she was first abducted as she wouldn't have understood what most people were yelling or saying to her.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    atcDave said:

Cursing and profanity go way back. Its been observed in Ancient Roman public restrooms

Now I want a new Life of Brian scene with grammatically correct restroom scriblings...
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Empyrial said:

For any of us, it's hard to comprehend her loss because none of us could ever fly and the charname has also experienced torture and cruelty without developing obvious emotional issues (unless you RP him/her as having them or count slaughtering hordes of people as an obvious issue). To me, it's the way she speaks about flying that makes me feel for her. I don't know her banters by heart, but I seem to remember all of her descriptions of flight carrying this sense of wonder, freedom, and liberation. I can't understand losing my wings but I can understand losing my freedom.

What I think people sometimes seem to forget or not realize is that it isn't just about losing her wings and not being able to fly; that's just the culmination of a long series of events. She was shot, kidnapped, and then the slavers wouldn't have sold her to the circus right away, they'd have transported her to some place, many miles from her home, while arranging her auction. Then in the circus she was further tortured and abused, not to mention displayed and humiliated on an almost daily basis. By now all she has left is her identity, but then even that's taken away by removing her wings, also meaning that any hope she might have had of been able to go back home and return to her old life with her family and friends is gone too.

It's extraordinary however that none of this actually breaks her. Even though she obviously is very sad and does get very depressed at times about all she's lost, she's obviously is determined to carry on and make a new life for herself inspire of everything.

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    Anduin said:

Hang on... I like Viconia because she doesn't have any pride!

I like... had a dump stat CHA score of 2... and she still slept with me : )

viconia would sleep with anything that had an appendage and a heartbeat.....lol
  • spammyspammy Member Posts: 9
    Viconia. Perhaps not exactly the most annoying in the strict sense, but the most hated character Charname ever had the misfortune to encounter on Toril. Would rather spend the rest of eternity with Nalia and Aerie on a deserted island :)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Jan's... not on the list? Ok, so he's not my most annoying, but it's a surprise.

Actually, I bloody hate Edwin. Absolutely hate him.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I can sympathize with Aerie's loss, tolerate Anomen's immaturity, and laugh at Xan's melodrama, but some characters I don't like. Quayle, Tiax, Korgan, and Shar-teel if I have a male character.

Why? Because these people don't like you, and they let you know it.

Aerie talks about her pain. Quayle spits on your face. Both are unpleasant, but Aerie at least is your friend.

Keldorn and Mazzy are the least annoying characters. They're good people.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    Never liked Jaheira. I like F/D's though, so she tended to tag along on playthroughs back in the day. Nowadays I often just leave her in FAI and/or to rot in the Chateau Irenicus. I just can't stand the woman. Too bad, since F/D is a good class to have in many different party setups.

Edit: the good thing is that I've started to use Cernd alot more in BG2 and realized he's the most underrated NPC imho. Didn't use him much before in vanilla.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Edit: the good thing is that I've started to use Cernd alot more in BG2 and realized he's the most underrated NPC imho. Didn't use him much before in vanilla.
    Excellent a convert. :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited September 2015
    Most annoying...Irenicus. The jerk captures and tortures you and Imoen, steals your souls, and then has the gall to assume that you wouldn't knock down everything in your way to stop him and get your souls back. I always say something like "Surprise, motherf#@$er!" whenever I thwart his plans and he says "What?! You?!"
    Post edited by Nimran on
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    wow the thread necromancy lives! MWAHAHAHAHAA
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Nalia's Aunt! Sooo many times I just wanted to hand her over to Viconia...
  • XzanahXzanah Member Posts: 145
    Ogrillons. Even though they are enemies, those things can take beatings, but are a pain in speedruns.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    In a world where you can raise the dead and learn spells like Wish, the whole missing wings thing is ridiculous. If she was a fighter or thief with no access to magic I'd be a bit more compassionate but she's a powerful priestess and Mage who can actually end up learning plenty of spells that would grant her flight. Relying on Quayle's expert opinion seems pretty silly as well. I for one am not trusting a wandering carnie to diagnose and treat my atrophying limbs
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Dorn, he was great in BG1, but in BG2 his character was completely ruined. He just became stupid evil, plus they removed like 90% of the humor from his character. In BG1 when he gets fatigued he's all like. "We shall stop here, you look.... tired." Silly Blackguard with 14 con trying to be hardcore always made me laugh. In BG2 he's this humorless slave to a pretty crappy demon.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Wait I take back the Dorn vote, thinking on it it's definitely Neera's wild mage friend with the cat fetish. Herding cats is one of the most annoying quests in the game and I hate that little gnome for sending me on it.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236

Wait I take back the Dorn vote, thinking on it it's definitely Neera's wild mage friend with the cat fetish. Herding cats is one of the most annoying quests in the game and I hate that little gnome for sending me on it.

....... I can get behind that vote right there, actually.
  • SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
    Yes it's a super old thread but some of us are newer to the game, and why start a new thread on the exact same topic and lose all the insights from over the years?

Jaheira in BG1 is the only npc that i actively dislike. In BG2, i found her much more interesting and less annoying, and i was thinking about doing a 1 to 2 carryover, but i don't think i can stand to have her around that long in BG1, so we'll see.

Looking at others that generate a lot of negatives:
    * the depressing guys like Anomen and xan are fine to me
    * Minsc actually wears on me, but his voice acting is quite good.
    * Seems I need to try quayle and cernd
    * i actually find nalia to be hilarious and one of my favorites though i'm leaving her out of my current run
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BG1 Jaheira
    BG2 Neera and Minsc.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Bg2 Edwin.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    BG1: Aerie

BG2: Aerie

IWD: Aerie

FO1: Aerie

FO2: Aerie

DAO: Aerie

Sudoku: Aerie

Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock: Aerie

Fetch: Aerie
    Why? She is so amazing, and the only npc able to put 3 whines in a CC with "anything happens" as trigger. ;)
    @Raduziel as you are a modder let me suggest you an idea for a mod for aerie.
    If the tongue, and not the wings, has been cut away, she can be the perfect npc, once the AoP is equipped on her.
    Silent, able to fly over the enemies, casting on them her powerful arcane and divine magic without the verbal component of the spells.
    When she buff her str she can even be the party chinook...
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    edited October 2019
    Mute caster with somewhat unique spell list sounds (pun not intended) like an interesting idea for NPC.
    I don't hate Aerie as a character, but I think it's irresponsible to join her to the party, because she clearly isn't mature enough for endeavor like that. Romancing her is even worse to me.
    The only NPC that I found truly annoying (and not in the endearing, amusing way) is Corwin. To some extent Viconia - but only when you romance her.
    Post edited by Artona on
    I sometimes like to joke about Aerie, but the truth is that i am one of her bigger supporter, both as powergamer and from the RP side.
    What she had to suffer is terrible, and she is forever spoiled of the freedom to fly, her personality has an evolution trough the game, like may be only Valigar one has.
    She is a member of almost my parties.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Lot of people hating on a disabled teenager suffering from PTSD here :(

True. But in fairness to me of all of the teenagers I have ever met who have been irredeemably traumatised by having their wings sawn off she is by far the most whiny.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Lot of people hating on a disabled teenager suffering from PTSD here :(

Damn millennials. Aerie needs a work in a coal mine.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Damn millennials. Aerie needs a work in a coal mine.

If she still had her wings she could work as the canary... but that's not an option so pick and shovel for her.

Aside from the "woe" talks she also has an annoying tendency to fail saves vs death. Sure there is death ward but its really tedious at low levels to micro-manage this girl. High maintenance overall esp in a group of 6.