Skip to content

Should atheists be allowed to get married?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Should atheists be allowed to get married?65 votes
    1. yes
      89.23%
    2. no
        3.08%
    3. other (elaborate, please)
        7.69%

Comments

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    I don't quite get this question. Marrigage is a fairly religious institution so isn't this question a bit like should atheists allowed to be baptised? Shouldn't it be more like why would they want to be baptised?

Civil Partnership or the equivilent of marriges with religion removed should be made more common. I know a compere who makes good money hosting civil partnership celebrations pretty much run in the same manner as a marriage but without a priest to celebrate a couples unions. He does it for gay couples and the few couples the simply dont want a religious marriage. After seeing my sister get married I must admit the religious connotations felt a bit strange as we are not paticularly religious at all and as such the priests blessing their union and all felt hollow as they were not our beliefs.

Thats my opinion. We shouldnt hijack marriage as that is a religious belief. We should make our own union celebration and celebrate that. People who want to simply call it marriage but remove the religion are simply too hung up on the name and the hollywood marketed features of marriage rather than actually celebrating whats important and thats finding someone worth giving your all to.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Here we go with another religion thread...

I'll just post here to say yes, they should if they want to be.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Not sure how you'd even enforce this.
    PteransemiticgoddessCrevsDaaksparkleav
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    People should marry or not marry according to thier personal religious beliefs, but marrage should have no legal status, since church and state should be completely seperate.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Moshi moshi, baito desu ~~

In Poland there is something called "one-sided wedding" and it is held between Christian and person from other religion or atheist. And priests are pretty much obliged to give you this type wedding (providing you agreed to not making any troubles with raising your child as a Christian). It has it's additional complications, but that's a given.

So yeah, atheist should have right to marry.

The other thing is marrying has some perks in the law, such as in cases of succession of your other half's wealth, had she/he happens to unfortunately die. If you prevent atheists from being married, you are going to make some formal things more complicated for them. For no reason, really.
    Troodon80JuliusBorisovlolien
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2016
    Men and women belong together or none of us would be here. Religion has nothing to do with that. And that's not meant as a slight to alternative arrangements. Whatever you need should be allowed.

Marriage is a commitment to another person that should not be made lightly. If you find someone and can make that commitment both ways then God bless as it were.
    Ravenslightmlnevese
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    elminster said:

Not sure how you'd even enforce this.

With a high level Fireball to the face! ;)

You should be allowed to marry regardless of your religious beliefs. That's akin to asking "If someone stops believing in their chosen deity/belief system, should they be required to divorce their spouse?"
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    C...can I buy some pot from you? I don't smoke I just need some pocket money and I know I can push whatever you're smoking for double the price around here!
    gorgonzola
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If marriage is a religious ceremony, then an atheist should be allowed to marry within the confines of their beliefs; if they believe marriage is worthwhile, then that's part of their religion.

If marriage is a civic ceremony, then religion has nothing to do with it, and atheists should be able to marry if they so desire.

Why is this even a question, really?
    JuliusBorisovmlnevesegorgonzola
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    There needs to be a separation of God and State, regardless of cultural or religious background of a given society.

Marriage is considered a Sacrament to Catholics (I was raised one), and very important to other Christian beliefs. Simply, it is considered a stepping stone of divine fulfillment.

When we are talking about the benefits from marriage from a states perspective (civil marriage), tax benefits for example, every individual of that state should have access to it regardless of religious or other differences that oppose the Sacramental meaning of marriage.

Being married in God's eyes and being married in the states mind should be two completely different things and getting people who cherish marriage as a religious symbol should attempt to understand that.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm not sure what @Shandyr was expecting from this poll. I assume he just brought this up as it relates to the gay marriage issue.
    CrevsDaak
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I'm not sure what @Shandyr was expecting from this poll. I assume he just brought this up as it relates to the gay marriage issue.

That is what I am assuming as well, as most people who are opposed to gay marriage are opposed to it because of religious or cultural beliefs. He is just highlighting one of the hypocritical arguments people use when it comes from distinguishing between marriage for religious and civil purposes.

The term civil unions, IMO, is a suitable compromise when dealing with this issue. Allow the term "marriage" and "holy matrimony" be exclusive to the religious beliefs, and use civil unions, which encompasses religious marriages, be the term used when dealing with an individual state.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Hmm...
    Will there be mashedtaters served at the wedding?
    Pteran
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    OK, I voted, but I'll admit I am as lost as everyone else here trying to divine the purpose of the question. Is it a prelude to some follow-up question, such as "How many partners should an atheist be allowed to marry?", where we know religions vary in their recommendation.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There are (unfortunately) countries in the world where this is a genuine issue, but assuming that this question is not aimed at one of those I won't comment further ...
    mashedtatersArdanisgorgonzola
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    A drunk Shandyr + Beamdog Forums = Wonders
    FinneousPJPteranCrevsDaak
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I've never liked the ties that marriage has to religion. It's like the sky god has a monopoly on people's union. Having said that the core of marriage the proclamation of one persons devotion to the other is a beautiful thing.

People should be free to do as they please and everyone has the right to marry regardless of belief, race, sexality or even if they're a fan of Star Trek Insurrection it's their right as a human being.
    @Mush_Mush
    Religion used to be the glue that held communities together, which is why so many things, like marriage and birth and death, are tied to religion.
    Society is different now.
    SanctiferGreenWarlockCrevsDaak
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2016

@Mush_Mush
    Religion used to be the glue that held communities together, which is why so many things, like marriage and birth and death, are tied to religion.
    Society is different now.

Exactly !
    Except people are biased because instead of saying "marriage and birth and death are tied to the most important social structure of its time" (and the most important social structure of its time, the glue holding communities together as you say, may of course be or have been religion), they just say "it's tied to religion"
    Agriculture has been that glue at some point, yet I hear nobody claiming marriage is tied to the very concept of agriculture and should stay that way for the sake of tradition.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaak
    @Sanctifer
    I apologize for the confusion. I wasn't trying to say that anything should stay the way it is simply for the sake of tradition. In fact, I believe the opposite. I was simply trying to explain why marriage is tied to religion, not offer an argument one way or the other.
    As far as agriculture, which is interesting you bring up, that is what made stable communities possible in the first place. When communities started, religion sort of took its place as a guide (bad or good, you pick).
    I digress, though. We are only a few generations ahead of a time when religion was in every person's life. It would be normal to have these kind of issues come up, then.
    I say, let's all eat mashedtaters and be merry.
    Sanctifer
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    :o Eating the holy potato is heresy!