Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @DragonKing Sorry it's beyond me to rewind time... But sometimes talking about it helps. My best advice is to look for professional help.

Also notice that alcohol increases the effect of depression... That and alcohol's interaction with medication are the main reasons people being treated from depression are prohibited from drinking
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    ThacoBell said:

@Zaghoul He didn't react to the glucagon. So if we can't keep it above 70, its straight to the ER. FUnnily enough, he acts like the pricks tickle.

@ThacoBell I was afraid of that when you first mentioned his problem, knowing the pathway from the alpha cells to the liver. I guess the endo's are doing what they can to see what is interfering with that. Low BS is like a little panic attack that makes us feel way out of sorts. My lows are harder to deal with lately, making thinking harder at the time, so I know he is confused inside as to why he feels different at the time. Some are not even aware of it happening like my niece was when very young.

Heh. He sounds like a right tough lil guy to take the finger pricks. :) Back when I got T1 diabetesin the early eighties the pen devices to stick with looked more like a guillotine TBH.

I hope those fool fire endo's get a brainstorm soon, I hate to hear he has to deal with so many dang low readings.They are one of the worst feelings that is hard to even describe. I've been there before (and always will have them) so know it is rough, even more so on a young mind. I know ya'll are probably finding it hard to even relax much worrying over that.
    I'd stay vigilant and stay strong, but know ya'll you already are. B)
    @Zaghoul he's a tough little fighter from everything @ThacoBell has told us... I hope he gets better soon.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @ThacoBell Your kid fights so much that he will level up anytime soon.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Good news so far. His blood sugar is a whopping 112. So I don't need to wake him up to give him juice. Fever is still broken too. Here's hoping he will through this tomorrow.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited July 2018
    For dragon: Alcohol does different things for different people. Typically for me it just emphasizes whatever I'm already feeling, so if I'm feeling down, drinking is like the worst possible thing to do because I'll be wallowing in self pity in no time. But if I'm feeling *really* happy it's equally dangerous because I'm likely to be obnoxious to everybody around me.

I'm not diabetic, but it does run all down the male line of my family (I'm the only one in my extended family that isn't diabetic for reasons not adequately explained). It's always kind of terrified me, but glad to hear things are going relatively well all things considered.

My only tribulation is that a roughly 40x40 sq ft portion of my yard is terribly overgrown. The previous owner used to have a dog kennel out there and it has since been completely overtaken by brush, weeds, poison ivy, and mulberry trees of substantial size. It was left alone for years and years. It decreased the property value though which is how I was able to afford this place lol. So, working in a museum and liking old things, I bought myself a scythe (for the weeds) and a fancy hand-forged in Germany axe for the trees. After roughly 5-6 months of very occasional work I've nearly got it all cleared. But I also have over 25 big mulberry tree stumps, and those things are basically aggressive cancer in how they grow and I have no idea what I'll do about them without spending a fortune :(

Lucas' blood sugar stayed stable all night, and he slept really well. So far so good. If I can get him to keep solid foods down today, we are in business.
    When it comes to the arts. What in school did your teachers say was your strong point? You graduated, so they must have thought you have what it takes. You might need to start working in a medium you don't enjoy as much to get started. After building your skills longer/nailing down a style, you might have more opportunity to work in a medium you enjoy more after building up a professional portfolio and getting some work connections. You could try to seek out a mentor as well.
    The girlfreind situation definitely sounds difficult, but look at it this way. She is standing by you in all this. That's not a little thing.
    Do you have insurance? Depending on your situation, most hospitals have a financial aid department. You can flat out get rid of some bills.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @DragonKing: I'm sorry to hear your girlfriend's family members care so much about money. I'm not sure there's anything to be done about that--if that's what really matters to them, that's all that's going to matter to them.

On the off chance you do ever meet them, though, you might try to make a strong impression--experience is the best cure for prejudice, whether it's about color or money or anything else. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. If it does work, maybe they'll realize your girlfriend knows something they don't.

The important thing is your relationship with your girlfriend. And as @ThacoBell said, if she's standing by you, she sounds like she's worth it. It sounds to me like she's the one person who knows just how dedicated and hard-working you really are.

Have you spoken with her about your worries? She might be the best source of support you can get.

It might be hard to find a new skill on which to build a stronger career, but bear in mind that it's never too late to learn one--and there's a good chance that there are some useful skills that you've already developed in the process of getting your degree. There are student loan forgiveness programs, but I'm not sure what the requirements are.

You're definitely in a rough situation. I hope you can finagle your way out of some of these problems, even if progress is slow and unsteady. You have many more years to get where you want to be.

I think it's admirable that you keep fighting.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @ThacoBell
    The amount I draw, all my professors so far will tell you based on sheer quantity I draw more than moat, my peers, heck most of them. That is it and it doesn't take anything to graduate from a postmodernist art school. You can *beep* on a canvas and graduate. They don't grade based on skill, or technique, or presentation. People graduate from art schools without the very basic drawing skills. So just graduating doesn't mean ish.

Yeah, we'll see how long that last.

No I dont, and no I can't I've already tried.

@DragonKing You're only thirty. "I've already tried" doesn't mean you stop trying. There is still the majority of your liefe ahead of you.

@DragonKing: I'm sorry to hear your girlfriend's family members care so much about money. I'm not sure there's anything to be done about that--if that's what really matters to them, that's all that's going to matter to them.

On the off chance you do ever meet them, though, you might try to make a strong impression--experience is the best cure for prejudice, whether it's about color or money or anything else. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. If it does work, maybe they'll realize your girlfriend knows something they don't.

The important thing is your relationship with your girlfriend. And as @ThacoBell said, if she's standing by you, she sounds like she's worth it. It sounds to me like she's the one person who knows just how dedicated and hard-working you really are.

Have you spoken with her about your worries? She might be the best source of support you can get.

It might be hard to find a new skill on which to build a stronger career, but bear in mind that it's never too late to learn one--and there's a good chance that there are some useful skills that you've already developed in the process of getting your degree. There are student loan forgiveness programs, but I'm not sure what the requirements are.

You're definitely in a rough situation. I hope you can finagle your way out of some of these problems, even if progress is slow and unsteady. You have many more years to get where you want to be.

I think it's admirable that you keep fighting.

My girlfriends ex was also black, he met her parents and based on what my girlfriend tells me. The mom wouldn't even let him stand on the porch. Last thing my gf aunt told her is,"look at your sister, she is so happy. Her husband takes care of her and she doesn't have to work at all. Don't you want to be happy like that." And her sister mainly argued from the texts I read, "why a black guy." The sad part is I went into the relationship expecting some of this but its still exhausting. Heck, another Korean artist I met even told me, "it wouldn't matter if you were broke or had a six-figure income. They'd still act the same because you're neither Asian or white."

As far as student loans go, I don't qualify, I've already checked.

@semiticgod
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    @DragonKing Speaking from experience, I learnt that when people, or even yourself, tell you it'll all be ok in the end, not only does it not help, but it's the wrong kind of thinking. You need to be better now, not some future way off time. As you've said, only you can do that, but that doesn't mean others can't help. People can show you the door so to speak, as long as you walk through it. You need to focus on some of the positives, for example all your problems do have a silver lining... A lot of people with clinical depression have no idea why, with no obvious things happening in their life, so the fact you know the things that bring you down is a good thing. Next, is acceptance... You can't change these things overnight, many things you can never change... so don't try to change reality. What you can change overnight is your perception of life and think about ways to enjoy the journey, rather than grit your teeth for an end result.

On top of that you can make a few practical changes, like there must be some less soul wrenching low paid jobs, with more people interaction. There's also an amazing drug... better than alcohol... exercise...works miracles when you feel particularly bad. Keep talking, keep listening, never give up.
    edited July 2018
    Turned on my laptop this morning and got this, oh and my mouse just fell into a cup of water, yay.

Post edited by DragonKing on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Turned on my laptop this morning and got this, oh and my mouse just fell into a cup of eater, yay.

That's not even the dreaded blue screen of death. It's far worse, the light blue fog of death...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Looks like impact damage
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    You see... now even your laptop has a silver lining ;)
    Too soon.
    I think I just had one of the most screwed up nightmares of my life. The plot apparently came from the movie Hereditary, in that there was this hideous evil dead grandma who was trying to kill her granddaughter (my little sister).

Okay, we're in this dilapidated house, and every once in a while, the evil grandma with this horrifying face will come out of a closet and attack me, and it freaks me out. The only way I can keep her from showing up is to keep all the lights in the house on.

But they keep turning off, and I can't get them to stay on. She's turning them off while my back is turned.

It was one of those dreams where I knew I was in the dream, and therefore had some control over it. So, if the house is being creepy, I can conjure an earthquake, completely trash the place, and replace it with something else.

But no matter what I did, I kept reappearing in the creepy house with the lights off and the evil grandma waiting to show up. I couldn't get out.

Worst of all, I kept thinking I'd finally escaped the nightmare and woken up. There was this one time where a character told me I was going to see my little sister again and the dream would be over, but instead of seeing my sweet baby sister, the evil grandma showed up with that horrible grin.

And this time she had a knife. She stabbed me.

This ominous music kept playing, apparently a simpler, less echoey, more irritating variant of Gaster's theme. Even when I woke up, I was still afraid that the evil grandma would come out from someplace while my back was turned, but after listening to the original Gaster theme, the fear went away.
    edited September 2018
    I don't think I ever had a nightmare or dream with a soundtrack... I have no idea why we have nightmares... or dreams but eventually we get those sticky ones that seem to stay in our heads, sometimes for days... I hope you'll purge this nightmare from your mind soon.
    That sounds a little bit like the game Sophie's Curse. You have to run around a house, turning lights on to stay alive.
    So fun story time because I want to *beep* for a minute. So yesterday my girlfriend went out to get some task down; groceries, art supply store, car axel realignment. After which we came and stayed home until she had to go to work. That's when we found out her car tire was flat. But she still had to get to work so she took an uber. I had never changed a tire before, despite the fact, my dad owns his own auto shop, cars never interested me much. Yet while she was away I was reading up on how to do it. Seemed simple enough.

Around 11 pm she gets back and I we start pulling everything out of the car. An emergency bag filled with different tools, the jack, but the spare was bolted down, but surprise surprise. There was no wrench. I also live in a heavily Hispanic and Spanish speaking neighborhood and the only language I know is English is 2 years of broken high school French. Plus I'm antisocial so I don't even know what my neighbors name. So we are out of luck and just call it a night. The next morning she ends up calling AAA which she basically had for who knows how long which gets her free roadside assistance. I head to class and about 45 being at school I receive a call from my gf. Basically, her mother was throwing a hissy fit and calling me useless because I didn't, no couldn't change the tire. The funny part is the mother didn't do ish to help. Originally she was going to pick my gf up from work and her husband was going to change the tire but then she realized the car is still at my place and didn't want to be ANYWHERE NEAR ME. So she decided not to. She didn't pay for the tire replacement or anything, she just complained I'm useless. while preceding to care so little about me that it was more important than helping her own child. And remember, this woman has NEVER FREAKING MET ME!
    So are you going to acquire the tools and skills now that you've found them lacking
    edited September 2018

So are you going to acquire the tools and skills now that you've found them lacking

I don't have a car so I don't need and didn't need those tools or skills. Even my gf said, " I always got a guy to do it". I was and still am willing to change the car's tire but she is the one who should have those tools on hand, not me. I'm not going to always be there to do it. She said she's going to start looking for a wrench now but I'm not freaking molecule man, I can change matter on a molecular level to create a tool I don't possess.
    @FinneousPJ: Since they already have access to free roadside assistance, there is no need to spend money buying tools.

Bear in mind that needling people who are already in a stressed situation with hostile questions is against the Site Rules. This thread is not here for anyone to lecture people about what they should and should not do--this is not a life advice thread.

Insinuating that someone is lazy or irresponsible does not constitute respectful behavior.
    edited September 2018
    That wasn't hostile in the least. Nor was it lecturing ;)
    That reminds me of the first time I ever changed a tire. At night, in the rain, with no knowledge of how.

I don't have a car so I don't need and didn't need those tools or skills. Even my gf said, " I always got a guy to do it". I was and still am willing to change the car's tire but she is the one who should have those tools on hand, not me. I'm not going to always be there to do it. She said she's going to start looking for a wrench now but I'm not freaking molecule man, I can change matter on a molecular level to create a tool I don't possess.
    That's fair. Still it would a nice opportunity to make a good impression on your gf and her mom.