Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: If you look it up in Near Infinity, it should have a "Protection from Spell" opcode that prevents it from stacking (unless they replaced that with Remove Effects by Resource, but I've not heard about that). If you test it in-combat, you should notice that it doesn't re-apply poison if you strike multiple times in the same round.
    AerakarWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

I am considering playing a kitted mage/thief. What would you consider the best kit?

Conjurer? Illusionist? Assassin? Something else?

Assassin/Mages are quite awesome. They used to be more awesome, back when you could use Melf's Minute Meteors with Poison Weapon to inflict lots of damaging poison in a short time. Still, late in the game, Assassin/Mages can potentially become some of the best backstabbers around. If you think a Staff of the Ram backstab is powerful, what about an Iron Golem fist backstab?
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    The new poison I believe came with 2.3. I miss the old poison, but the current one is ok . I have an assassin now running from BG to SoD and now in SoA and in my experience the poison still useful. But not as useful as it was of course. And I don't bother with darts any longer for assassins since you can't stack it. I generally stick with shortbows and swords/staffs all the way through.
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I have been doing one of the Dark Horizons quests which ends up in the Oversight HQ. However, by not doing it the way that it was intended I caanot get to the basement for the final battle. Does anyone know what the code is for that area? I'm asking here as the other more appropriate sites which host the mod are still down.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @Wise_Grimwald in the EE when you open the console it gives you a list of travel locations in the game. I don't think I've ever used that and am not sure how it's built up. However, have you checked whether the list reflects all locations in your installed game (rather than just the original EE ones)?
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    It doesn't I think. I always just open up the mod files in explorer and find the area files. Then you can console there.
    JuliusBorisov
    Mantis37 said:

It doesn't I think. I always just open up the mod files in explorer and find the area files. Then you can console there.

Done that and can't find the file. :(

Never mind it's not important. I'll investigate further in my next game and I won't try to be clever, just follow the questline in the way that you are expected to.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343

Mantis37 said:

Done that and can't find the file. :(

Never mind it's not important. I'll investigate further in my next game and I won't try to be clever, just follow the questline in the way that you are expected to.
    Hi @Wise_Grimwald
    When I got lost in my old bws I used to press control + L (cant do that on my phone now, so dont know if it worked.). I

As I recall the coordinates also showed the area code (for instance xx,yy ar0800). Or else it was someway else in the console.

From there I could guess the next area since mods typically bundled their areas with specific area codes (ex. Darkest day = dd0800, dd0900, or dd0001, dd0002 and so on).

My memory may fail me - its been more than ten years since my last bws... but best of luck
    Grond0Wise_Grimwald
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    No chance to see an official Ironman mode for the BG series? Kind of the new game + modes Obsidian has been creating for Pillars of Eternity 2?
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    @GrimjackMV Currently, there wouldn't be much of a point to it. There's an apparently unfixable (though rare) bug in BG1/SoD (sometimes called the "greyed out portraits bug") that can randomly kill off the entire party without any way to prevent it, so an official Trial of Iron mode could be very frustrating.
    GrimjackMVWise_GrimwaldsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    Enuhal said:

@GrimjackMV Currently, there wouldn't be much of a point to it. There's an apparently unfixable (though rare) bug in BG1/SoD (sometimes called the "greyed out portraits bug") that can randomly kill off the entire party without any way to prevent it, so an official Trial of Iron mode could be very frustrating.

Really? First time I've heard of that and have been playing BG for ages. Most be extremely rare.

Still, would be cool if we could get an official Ironman mode at some point. Especially if they can fix that bug.
    Wise_Grimwald
    My party has just got to the point where they should be going to the chessboard but can't despite going to all the the rooms and killing everything. Yes I dispelled invisibility so I know there is nothing invisible still alive, and I have been back and forth between the various rooms.

I am pretty sure that SCS mod is the problem and a lot has been written about this bug but with SHS and G3 being down, I cannot access it. :(

Last time I did this I had to change a global variable but with so many of them I can't find it. Can anybody help?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Really? First time I've heard of that and have been playing BG for ages. Most be extremely rare.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64178/instant-death-game-overs-for-no-reason
    JuliusBorisov
    @Wise_Grimwald try this:

C:SetGlobal("DMWWFissionBurn","GLOBAL",1)
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    I think the last SCS update (31?) fixed this by the way.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2018
    Aerakar said:

@Wise_Grimwald try this:

C:SetGlobal("DMWWFissionBurn","GLOBAL",1)

Thanks. I will do. :) It worked!! Thanks a lot. Now back to my no reloads run. :)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Aerakar
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Happy Holidays everyone!

I have a question about saving throws. My Dark Moon Monk just saved against a Silence cast by Viconia, rolling only a 4:

She was level 7 with a save vs spells of 3, which seems to be correct: a base save vs spell of 10 minus 3 from the Claw of Kazgaroth, 2 from the Amulet of Spell Warding, 1 from a Ring of the Princes, and 1 from Blur makes 3. There were no other buffs in place from potions or spells.

Silence has a save penalty of -5, meaning my Monk should have rolled at least an 8 to save vs spell right? Some testing saw her save with a roll of 3 even. She did fail to save a couple of times too, I assume on a 1 or 2. This seems to suggest that the save penalty to Silence isn't effective.

I also tested with Eldoth casting Web at my Monk, at that time with a save vs spell of 4 (no Blur). She saved with a roll of 4, ignoring the -2 save penalty that goes with Web.

This meant that either Monks have an undocumented save bonus or save penalties to spells fail to apply. So my next test was with a Fighter/Thief with a save vs spell of 6. She too saved against a Web on a roll of 6, where the save penalty should have led to her being held.

My question now, before I decide whether or not to do a new install, can someone test if they have the same issue? I'm playing with a modded install of v 2.5.17.0.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    edited December 2018
    @Grond0, thanks very much, that makes a lot of sense. It's been too long since I last had a character with negative saves.... and I hadn't looked at the highest reported save rolls.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2018
    After an eventful run (which I'll write up in a little) my Blackguard has made it to ToB... only to become fallen because the kit can't handle my use of the Quest Pack expanded hell trials- character is still LE. Just unchecking the box in EE Keeper doesn't work for restoring the kit's abilities, any suggestions? If it's too difficult I suppose I shall add some alternate abilities to represent Lyran becoming his own patron... Am playing on Android so it's a little more fiddly to resolve bugs like these.
    BlackravenWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @Mantis37, congrats! That's a lot of progress!
    As for your character: now that he is no longer fallen, have you tried setting his level to 0 (and his HPs to 1) in EEKeeper, and then level up in-game? Ideally the game would then recalibrate all his kit abilities. I think it might also lead to him getting a lot more weapon skill points and any HLAs, so you might have to uncheck those in EE Keeper first. When you've leveled up in-game, save, subtract 1 HP in EE Keeper, and save again.
    Not sure if it works, good luck!
    Grond0Mantis37StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    Thanks, that worked for all except the fear & level drain immunity, but those effects could be copied & pasted from an old save. Now I just have to decide whether Verr will get wished back or if Sarry will get to carry a vorpal sword awhile :).
    BlackravenWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    edited January 2019
    I was wanting to take Kagain into SoD. However the game doesn't allow this. If I changed his name to Kagain- or something similar would the game allow it or would it make the game buggy? It doesn't matter for this game, but in the future I would like to take the same party from BG1 to ToB. I have EET installed
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: Changing his name would be a strictly cosmetic change; it wouldn't impact anything either way. I suppose you could change his script name, which would probably get him into SoD without causing any other bugs.

You could always use the console to spawn Kagain in the Ducal Palace in SoD. He might not have the exact same XP and items and whatever, but you could EEKeeper him back to his normal level. SoD removes BG1 characters via script between the transition from the intro dungeon to the Ducal Palace, but there are no script checks after that. Mod characters are completely unaffected.
    JuliusBorisovBubbStummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    @Bubb and @semiticgod Thanks for your advice. Most helpful. I suppose that the other way that I could do it is go with the flow and wait until Amn before joining up with him again. I believe that there is an NPC Kagain mod. Hopefully somebody will write a Kagain NPC mod for Dragonspear before too long.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Have disposed of the five but run into a Wheels of Prophecy bug. The grove area remains unreachable even after reading Balthy's journal- which leaves a bugged journal entry also. I can try CLUAing to the grove, or even CTRL + J to the Ravager skipping the grove? Will do the other pocketplane challenges for now, but if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know how they dealt with it.
    Wise_Grimwald