Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Not Baldur's Gate, but the following is a classic example of peasant intelligence in Neverwinter Nights:

"Aye, tis good to meet such a fine hero such as yourself!"
    "Put that weapon away, ye filthy brigand!"
    "You look a most fine gentleman, m'lord!"
    "Hmph, keep yer spells and yer vile look away from me, ye accursed wizard!"

All from the same peasant within the span of 5 seconds. Make up your mind, man! :P

Is it like the Elder Scrolls games, where you're supposed to put your weapons and sometimes magic away before talking to people?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Did anyone else hear Minsc and Boo are getting a pop figure? I'm so excited!

I'm going to get two. One to guard my dice collection and the other to sit in a box until I can figure out how to get it signed by Jim Cummings.

kbj9tg13x4p4.jpeg

D'awww.....
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Balrog99
    Buttkicking.....FOR HYPPPPPEEEEE!
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Baldur's Gate logic. The most powerful, permanent reality bending magical items, magical books that can increase your IQ, make you look like Dwayne Johnson, make you as charming as Sean Connery, etc . . .

can only be found by people of meager power.
    Baldur's Gate logic. The most powerful, permanent reality bending magical items, magical books that can increase your IQ, make you look like Dwayne Johnson, make you as charming as Sean Connery, etc . . .

I'm not sure I understand this one.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Chronicler wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand this one.

The tomes can only be obtained in BG1 by low level characters.
    @ElysianEchoes
    Technically people of meager power would be the peasants. There is nothing meager about a Level 5 or higher adventurer.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    High end adventures have similar means in the way of paper giving them instructions on how to increase their potential by using a certain machine. But anyone with half a brain and no experience whatsoever could follow those notes.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    @ElysianEchoes
    Technically people of meager power would be the peasants. There is nothing meager about a Level 5 or higher adventurer.

Yeah, remember Ulraunt? The leader of Candlekeep? I think he was just a 7th level Mage. :P Lord Nasher Alagondar, the ruler of Neverwinter, is just a 12th level Fighter.

Even a 3rd level adventurer would already be considered a seasoned veteran, worthy of high pay in a mercenary unit. The leaders of such bands are usually about 5th level, hardened veterans of many campaigns. The Grand Druid, the "ruler" of all the druids in the WORLD, is 14th level (although hierophant druids exist, they typically devote themselves to more global concerns and do not bother with the workings of politics).

As a general rule, any adventurer that's higher than 10th level is already a figure of renown, a household name. Anyone higher than 15th level is a figure of legend, somebody whose deeds bards will sing of for centuries, and anybody 20th level or higher is basically so powerful they start to consort with deities and planar figures on a personal basis.

I remember i've read in a website all the specifics level by level, and it was very interesting... too bad i can't find it anymore, but it was enlightening about the level progression and what actually mean in the FR environment
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @sarevok57 I'm pretty sure the BG1 to Suldanessalar is about 2 years.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    My favorite part of The Force Unleashed were how some of the stormtroopers would know just how screwed they were when facing the player character. Like the voice clip of a stormtrooper who with a resigned sigh goes "what are we supposed to do against that?"

More enemies with self-awareness in games, please.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    There's a guy in SoD who does just that. He recognizes you, says that he's an Iron Throne guy or something and that you killed his buddies, then realizes he's outgunned and decides to hoof it rather than start a fight.

It's kind of a weird theme of SoD that you're super famous at this point in your journey. Like you went on a bunch of adventures in The Sword Coast, then you went on a bunch of adventures in Amn, but apparently between those adventures there was a phase where you were Superman and Baldur's Gate was your Metropolis.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Yeah, but makes sense. The intro movie of bg2 states that you were recognized as "the hero of baldur´s gate" etc etc
    The hero of Baldur's Gate insofar as you did save Baldur's Gate that one time, but they act like you're the first adventurer ever to save the sword coast. I'm pretty sure Drizzt and Elminster don't get talked about as much as you do in SoD.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @sarevok57 I'm pretty sure the BG1 to Suldanessalar is about 2 years.

for me, i can do it in less than 200 days sometimes, depending on what the time between games are, and since i dont play SoD im going to assume the days allotted between bg1 and bg2 is about a week at most? from what i remember of the bg2 intro video, it did seem that the shadows thieves scooped you up quite quick after you where done in bg1
    To be fair if most adventurers went through what Charname and their allies go through, I think they'd level pretty fast too. Let's not forget I think Taerom Thunderhammer is only either a 2nd or 5th level fighter and he's a really famous blacksmith.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yeah, generally the adventures of PCs are WAY more "adventurous" than in-world NPCs. XD PCs are INSANELY talented/lucky to go up against the kind of odds they do and emerge victorious. Then again, we do have the "Reload Game" cheat on our sides. ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Though it also depends on how generous the XP rewards are for completing quests. In Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter on Insane, completing the side quest to find Murdaugh an ice rose grants the party 1,260,000 experience. Do a few side quests like that, and you'll become an epic-level adventurer pretty quickly. ;)
    Yeah, generally the adventures of PCs are WAY more "adventurous" than in-world NPCs. XD PCs are INSANELY talented/lucky to go up against the kind of odds they do and emerge victorious. Then again, we do have the "Reload Game" cheat on our sides. ;)

More to the point, the NPC's tend to cash out at some point. Bently Mirrorshade and his wife Galana Mirrorshade used to be adventurers. If I recall they're about a tenth level illusionist/thief and cleric. They're actually some of the more powerful people you encounter in your time in the Sword Coast.

They did their thing for a while, gathered some treasure, and then eventually used their treasure to start up The Friendly Arm Inn. Past a certain point money just makes more money anyway. You don't really need to keep risking life and limb over this stuff when sensible investments and maybe a small business passion project can let you live comfortably for the rest of your days.

Gorion's Ward reached Level 10 and then they just kind of kept going. Didn't really have much say in the matter. A comfortable life was never really an option for them.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I like to imagine that I'm playing through a retelling of the actual events. So Gorion's ward never actually reached the insane levels of ToB and started throwing around meteors and stuff. The storyteller just gets so caught up with their own story of the Bhaalspawn saga that they keep making it more and more epic. It's how myths are born.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Though it also depends on how generous the XP rewards are for completing quests. In Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter on Insane, completing the side quest to find Murdaugh an ice rose grants the party 1,260,000 experience. Do a few side quests like that, and you'll become an epic-level adventurer pretty quickly. ;)

luckily thanks to the EEs you can turn off the double XP from insane difficulty bonus, i understand getting double XP from baddies, but quests to? its a little too good in my opinion
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I like to think of reload as just tapping into an alternate reality where I win!