Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    Just watched the stream, SoD looks beautiful even if the build is outdated now; what is the timeline for updating BG:EE with the new features (shaman class, new rendering etc.) so I can do a playthrough with a shaman protagonist?
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    I hope there's a quick & easy way to revert the UI to the state it is currently in BG, BG2 & IWD. I find certain things in the preview SoD UI redundant.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

I hope there's a quick & easy way to revert the UI to the state it is currently in BG, BG2 & IWD. I find certain things in the preview SoD UI redundant.

The new UI system makes it comparatively much easier to change things. I would expect modders to start looking at the UI as something to be embraced and changed more freely than ever before.
    mlneveseelminster
  • AntaraReisAntaraReis Member Posts: 26
    Some of the item icons don't look so good, especially Edwin's hat. This is due to the color being too bright and the contours being too sharp.
    Fardragonwojtek
    Dee said:

The new UI system makes it comparatively much easier to change things. I would expect modders to start looking at the UI as something to be embraced and changed more freely than ever before.

It seems I need to clarify my comment. I don't want to have to mod the "new" UI back to the "old" UI. While I would prefer the "old" UI to be the default one, I have a sneaking suspicion that "new" one is going to be the default one. In light of this suspicion I would like reverting back to the "old" UI be as quick & painless as possible, preferably as simple as a check mark in the option menu. I don't want to have to hack the UI back to it's previous, uncluttered functionality.

Think back how many irate posts there were when without any explicit advanced warning the NWN2 default UI changed between the OC & MotB. Now while in NWN2 one can change the UI back by tapping the number pad "*" key, imagine how much worse a potential reaction there may be if if one has to mod the SoD "new" UI to get it back to the BG1 "old" UI...
    Flashburn[Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2016
    Adul said:

To clarify what I mean, I'm talking about the small lists next to the AC, THAC0, and damage stats that explain how the stat in question is being calculated, with a line of text and a number for each relevant item, magic effect, and modifier that affects the stat.

I'm pretty sure these information are listed on the Record Page ( a.k.a. Character Sheet) of each character... Take a look at the first SoD gameplay videos on daily motion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zdbqm and http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zdf1n_siege-of-dragonspear-demo-part-2_videogames ( minute 23:27 of the second video...)
    AdulAlexM
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    Can someone clarify for me whether or not the upcoming updates to BGEE and BG2EE include their own version of the new UI?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You know... It is debatable why it should be in the inventory screen. They are generic statistics which have a nice place in the character summary. It prevents clutter in the inventory gui.

However, I can fully understand that people want to see the effects of changing gear without going to the character screen. On the other hand, do players need to see that thac0 goes down and damage goes up other than the resulting values? I wonder.
    What is the right hand side in the new gui for btw? Those seemingly empty boxes? Can I hypothesise that they show the new values when you have a weapon or armour selected?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited February 2016
    lroumen said:

What is the right hand side in the new gui for btw? Those seemingly empty boxes? Can I hypothesise that they show the new values when you have a weapon or armour selected?

The left hand side shows the values of a previous item, the right hand side shows the values of a new item:

[spoiler=Abdel changes his axe for a spear, the difference is shown in left and right boxes]

[/spoiler]
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    bengoshi said:

@Luke93 It's fine to see that information on the Record Screen, but @Adul has been wondering about showing of it on the Inventory screen, like it's in BGEE:

Compare it with the SoD Inventory screen:

What if players want to see all those modificators to their THAC0, damage and AC right on the Inventory screen, without going anywhere else?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I mean. I'm used to certain information to be located in certain areas for the last, what... 16, 17 years?... Also, I already know say for instance a +4 item is better than a +2 item. I don't need the wasted space in the inventory screen hand holding me for that. Hence why I would like to be able to easily reverted back to the previous GUI style that has been in place for more than the last decade & a half plus...
    AlexM
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Pop ups... @bengoshi didn't we hear something about pop ups being incorporated more easily into the game?
    JuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2016
    bengoshi said:

lroumen said:

The left hand side shows the values of a previous item, the right hand side shows the values of a new item:
    ah, as i suspected. So the removal of the additional info is very likely a design change to prevent clutter and the additional boxes are the in between solution to aid the players. Seems well thought out to me (as a software design engineer).

Pop ups are evil. They should never be included. It is the programmers way to accomplish something they could not do more elegantly (Bg example, the alt-f4 boo will miss you message which has been staring at me for over a decade).
    I really hope you mean the hover tooltip to show additional customizable (moddable/programmable) info.

(Like scrollbars often, but not always, indicate that you have too many options and should have grouped/categorised better)
    ShadowdemonAlexM
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @bengoshi During the live stream, you asked the developers if there would be quests for Dorn, Neera and Rasaad...
    They didn't answer, did they? Personally, I hope there will be quests for the trio...
    JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Those old screen shots dont calculate the two things I use the most, damage threshold per hit amd Thac0.
    Damage isnt even on the Character Sheet, and you have to read a novel to find Thac0. Having them there while I switch between a new magical item and a old one, gives me a quick glance on which I should be using.

And just because you are use to it doesn't mean it should stay that way. Might as well keep using a rotary phone tje rest of your life since the first 10 years that is all that you were use to using.

There is also so much dead space in the wide screen version of those screens you might as well use it for information regarding the items currently in use.

If someone wants to Mod the old look back however, they have made it much easier to do so than in the past.
    rorikon
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2016
    lroumen said:

Pop ups are evil. They should never be included. It is the programmers way to accomplish something they could not do more elegantly (Bg example, the alt-f4 boo will miss you message which has been staring at me for over a decade).
    I really hope you mean the hover tooltip to show additional customizable (moddable/programmable) info.

(Like scrollbars often, but not always, indicate that you have too many options and should have grouped/categorised better)

Yes. A mouse-over tooltip on desktop versions, but a touch version on tablets/phones (at least until phones can sense your finger hovering over a certain part of the screen :wink: ), e.g., Mouse-over (or tap) the AC and a breakdown of the AC appears.
    deltago said:

Those old screen shots dont calculate the two things I use the most, damage threshold per hit amd Thac0.
    Damage isnt even on the Character Sheet, and you have to read a novel to find Thac0. Having them there while I switch between a new magical item and a old one, gives me a quick glance on which I should be using.

And just because you are use to it doesn't mean it should stay that way. Might as well keep using a rotary phone tje rest of your life since the first 10 years that is all that you were use to using.

I prefer the EE inventory screens to the originals. Having damage and THAC0 shown on the inventory screen is good (and I'm glad Beamdog isn't getting rid of that). But, the claim was that the inventory screen has been showing the AC, THAC0, damage, and their "breakdowns" for 17 years. My point was that's not an accurate statement.
    rorikonAlexM
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @AstroBryGuy

Well, the EE was released in 2012, so 3+ years may be looked at as a long period for those playing the game and getting used to seeing calculations on the Inventory screen. But of course, that statement was not accurate.

@Luke93 Glad you noticed, and no, they didn't answer.

@Anduin Can you elaborate on that? Did I miss something?
    AstroBryGuy_Luke_
  • CendarCendar Member Posts: 27
    Thanks @bengoshi as usual for all of the wonderful info and to @AndrewFoley, @Amber_Scott, and @Dee for answering our many many questions. I did have one more though. I think it may have been asked bofore in a different way, but are there any plans currently to release a patch with the new UI/updates/improvements (particularly spells and new shaman class) to at least BGIEE prior to the release of SoD (not to beat a dead horse but a date would be great for this too ;) so that some of us can get used to the changes and get a character or two prepped?
    JuliusBorisovronaldoAstroBryGuy

"scoring cinematics" :) For a new trailer perhaps (the one that will go with the release date announcement)?
    brusAstroBryGuy
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Grrr... I think it is more to do with journal pop ups, but if they can place pop ups in the inventory screens as well... That would be... Interesting...

Sorry @bengoshi . called you out as you seem to on top of the information stream.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    deltago said:

Does anyone else notice the irony of insinuating that someone else is a luddite because of what they posted ONLINE? This makes me recall when I followed pinball forums, there were certain individuals that constantly bemoan ONLINE how solid-state circuitry lead to the downfall of the industry...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

Does anyone else notice the irony of insinuating that someone else is a luddite because of what they posted ONLINE? This makes me recall when I followed pinball forums, there were certain individuals that constantly bemoan ONLINE how solid-state circuitry lead to the downfall of the industry...
    No. What I am saying is just because you are use to something, doesn't mean it cannot be improved and to raise a fit because it is being improved (like what the rest of my post said if you are looking for detailed improvements) is rather silly espcially when the base of your arguement is you are use to it. Espcially when ot has been stated that it is going to be much easier for people to customize the appearance.
    AlexM